Friday, February 24, 2012

Ice Fishing up to February

This winter has been an interesting one.  It has been soooo warm.  This has meant alot of snow, and not much ice.   As well, if a person likes slush puppies, just head out to the lake, put your flavoring in a cup, and hold it behind the snowmobile.  

  I am not sure how long we will have ice this year.  With high water, and poor ice, we might be in to open water by mid April.  

 Fishing so far has been real good for me.  I had 2 goals for through the ice this year.  First- to learn the rainbows in Korman Lake.  Second- to learn the the east side of Wekusko for walleyes.   WIth a baby this winter, my time has been limited, but I have stroked the first goal off the list.

  I have fished Korman 5 times, and have caught 9 master Rainbows.  Allan (dad) fished twice with me there, and he also caught 4 masters.  He also battled a fish for 5 minutes (and yes the drag was set correct cause I checked since it was taking so long), and the fish ended up getting the line caught in a sliver in the bottom of the hole and straightened a size 4 gamy to get off.   Not sure what it was..... but it's still out there roaming the depths of Korman.

  I also fished File Lake once, and managed to catch a 31" and 32" laker.   The picture is not that great since I didn't have the camera warm- because the information from locals is that there is no big fish in that lake.   These were not monster trout- but the definitely were not push overs.

  Woosey Lake also got a few holes punched in.   We have been doing quite well with walleye there, but also in some big burbot.  The last time out one client caught  a 33" brute.  But as the story goes- we never got to see the one that just about spooled him!!!

  I plan to keep you all posted on the ice as well as the fishing!

Bryan



No comments:

Post a Comment