Sunday, January 13, 2013

Ice Fishing and Ice Update

Hello Everyone!

  This winter has been an interesting one so far.  The lodge has had bookings all winter long.  No bookings have been big, but consistently had some clients.  Add this with still trying to catch up with camp work, and family life, has meant I have not fished much at all.  By this I mean only 3 times on the ice.  This is the least amount I have fished in the winter since 2000, when I just started to ice fish.  So every time I do get out now I sure do take it all in and have learned to appreciate staring down at the vexilar waiting for the next red bar to show up.

  As for ice, I fished on Wekusko Lake last week, and there was a solid 24" of ice.  There was also 20" of pure powder on top of the snow, and very little slush to be had.  Fishing was decent- landed 5 walleye and 1 perch in 1 1/2 hours.  I had to drill quite a few holes though, the fish were not moving much at all, and basically had to troll.  The walleye sizes were in order - 23", 22", 22", 21", 26".

  Unfortunately I did not take any pictures.  I was by myself and the fish that I kept froze his eyes and head in about 10 seconds.  It was a little chillier than I expected it to be.  It seemed so nice in the yard!

  I also fished Woosey Lake before Christmas with limited success.   I went for walleye, and started marking lots of perch- some good size ones too, and just could not land one of them.  It was real cold and had some larger lures on.  I tried to tie a Marmooska jig I had in the bag, and my fingers froze up.  I just kept hoping some eyes would come in to the perch area at dark, but they slipped by me and a buddy shallower caught a couple 16"'s.  I missed 3 fish in shallower. And the burbot never did show up there, unlike last year.  But it was a bit early for that spot, so hope by the end of the month to try it again there.

  Kormans found Elissa, Kiley, and myself fishing it for trout just before Christmas as well.  I went to my mid January spot, and we did mark a few fish.  As for hooking up, there were only 2 fish that cooperated.   I lost a 20" rainbow in the hole, and a friend caught a 19" Brook Trout!  I have not personally seen a Brookie caught in here yet, and I was jealous.  I rarely rarely get out fished, but I did have to bow my head on this outing.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment