Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Bryan and Saskatchewan Hunts

 I grew up in Sask and am a farm boy at heart.  And with the farm, comes a tradition and past time- hunting.  So every chance I get to hunt something in Sask, I take.

  In October, Elissa and I had a wedding to attend, and this was my chance to swing by the farm and make a hunt happen.  Ducks and Geese were on the hit list, and I had my dad doing some scouting.  He had found a shoot, and I watched that evening.  It was looking like a dandy, about a dozen snows, thousand mallards, and five hundred Canada's.

  The morning found SNOW on the ground, and intense fog.   Hmmmmmm.  This could be interesting.  We set up, and set in, and it wasn't too long till we started flinging steel at Mallards.  Ducks were falling, and everything was going great.  Then the fog got real thick and things slowed down.  We could hear Canada's around us, but they couldn't find us with low visibility (20 feet).  What was going to happen....

  Every once in a while we got lucky.  Right next to us we could here a light goose gruttle, and voila- the snow geese came right in.  Bam bam- couple snows down.  Not long after, we heard a speckle belly cackle.  I got on the call- and they were coming in.....bam bam.  Few speckles down too!   And then it finally happened, some Canada's came in and a few more hit the ground.

 This was a first for me and my dad, a triple goose species hunt over decoys.


  In November I took off for Whitetail.  My plan was to shoot one with the bow, but it had to be big.  It was -28 + windchill and it was chilli 28 feet up in a tree.  Day 1 I had a close encounter to a heavy 4x4, and he busted me when a jacket made noise on the draw.  The next day I had another nice 4x4 come in after 23 does and 5 other bucks made their way through.  I decided to take the shot, and got a nice 150 4x4.  Not the biggest buck, but under the weather conditions and time allotment, I did fairly well.  And there is always next year.
                                        My nephew and me with the deer

No comments:

Post a Comment